- 4 x parent governors elected for 4 years by the parent body
- 1 x staff governor elected for 4 years by the school's staff
- the Headteacher
- 1 x Local Authority governors chosen by West Sussex as the education authority
- 6 x Co-opted Governors chosen by the governing body itself
Many of our duties and responsibilities are set down in law and cover a wide range of topics from health and safety to the budget to the curriculum. We carry out these duties in several ways. The full governing body meets every half term, though a lot of our work is carried out in 2 committees, which meet regularly:
- Pupil Progress and Curriculum (once a term)
- Assets and Resources (twice a term)
Governors are also involved in appointing staff and visit the school on many occasions spending time with the children and the staff to see the school in operation. Governors also link to important aspects of the work of the school such as Maths, English, Most Able and Talented, inclusion, safeguarding and health and safety. Some governors volunteer to help in school, for example, in reading groups. The Chair also meets regularly with the Headteacher for discussion.
All our governors are unpaid volunteers and no formal qualifications are needed to become one. It is, however, a rewarding experience to be involved in the 'voyage of discovery' here at Trafalgar.